Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Project – Part One (of Three)

O.k guys, here is the first installment of the 3-part Poker Night Chronicles: The Project.

As some of you may already know, I’m making my own poker table cover, and its gonna be brilliant! BRILLIANT! My first problem was the shape. If you glance at the previous posts you can see the picture that was my inspiration, so I eventually decided that it should be an octagon, an 8-sided polygon. I think it looks more professional that way.

Second problem: How can I cut out a perfect octagonal shape, or at least something passable? Once again, Wikipedia provided the solution for my problems. Check this site out:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octogon

Its pretty cool. It even has a GIF picture with moving illustrations that show how to draw out the plans for a perfect octagon. You’ll see what I mean for yourselves later…

STEP 1: What is it that you want?
You’ll need a clear idea of what you’re looking to make. Forget the creative juices (unless you’re some architect or similar) and instead, go on-line (as I have) and look for some inspiration in sites that sell poker/cards merchandise.

STEP 2: Buy what you need
Once you know what you’re looking for, pay a visit to your nearby D.I.Y shops and get the stuff you need. Try to picture the whole project in fast forward so you can buy everything at one go (it would save you the hassle).

Practicing what I preach, I took a trip down to Ikano with Calvin and got myself some green carpet (in the absence of felt) and some other miscellaneous stuff, like spray paint and crispy popiah.

STEP 3: Organize your work space
I found a place in my house, upstairs with a wide enough space to lay out my ‘carpet’ and at the same time, found a great workspace. I also set up all the ‘equipment’ that I needed, such as the make-shift protractor…which was actually a piece of chalk on a string tied to some peg (or peg-like apparatus). Check it out.

NEXT: According to the instructions, I need to draw some shapes and some lines. Simple? Well, not if you don’t have a protractor or even a ruler which is that big!

No comments: