I’ve been back in Kay El for the past couple of weeks and I still kinda feel the post-SISF blues. I’ve stopped dancing in the office though. Now I have to learn to stop spot-turning when someone calls me.
From 13th to 15th November 2009, I was part of a sizeable Malaysian / Havana Estudio contingent headed out to Singapore for the Singapore International Salsa Festival 2009 (“SISF”). Since I use this Blog space not so much for blogging (because it’s just not that kind of party), but rather for keeping tabs on events or anecdotes in my life (which apparently, is few and far in between), I took the liberty of taking a walk down memory lane by reading the piece I posted AFTER the Malaysia Salsa Congress in May this year. For the sake of perspective, Congress 2009 was my first salsa event since I started dancing.
Visibly, I was more relaxed this time round, treating the whole thing like a glorious salsa holiday. I was sharing an adorable little room with Florence, Jaime and Raj, the 3 of which I’ve grown rather fond of (in no particular order, hoho) over the long weekend. Some points of note:
1) I’ve improved somewhat over the past couple of months. I recall with nostalgic fondness, Imagen Latina’s workshop in Congress, of which I struggled to follow. However, during Imagen Latina’s workshop in SISF, it became easier to follow them just by watching. Everything somehow became more obvious.
2) I revived my enthusiasm for dancing. It’s been waning for a while now. Of late, I’ve been feeling like I’ve reached a ‘plateau’ in my dancing ‘career’. You know, like “I don’t know any new moves” or “My dancing isn’t going anywhere”. Even the rueda which I’ve grown to love has taken a backseat (which is depressing to say the least). Good news is, just like Congress, SISF brought me back to life. God’s knows for how long though but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.
3) I took part in a Guinness Book of records attempt for the WORLD’S LARGEST RUEDA WHEEL! Woo hoo! With reference to No. 2 above, this was my Rueda ‘revival’ of sorts. Although there may be some complications there… but you won’t hear it from me.
4) I actually picked up some brilliant moves over the weekend. Now, the execution of the same is another story entirely…
5) I love my iPhone. So much. So, so much. Never been technologically enhanced before. I’m such a caveman.