Tuesday, March 25, 2008

How to feed an obsession (or “How to Build a Poker Table Cover”)

Mr. Lee, one of our local heroes has a poker set which we use regularly, and which also includes a plain green felt poker table cover, with 5 (empty) boxes for the Community Cards.

In the meantime, we have kept true to our word and have continued to play on a weekly basis, sometimes even twice a week.

Lately, I have also been feeding this obsession by doing tons of research on the Game: jargon, calculations, strategies, etc. In my journey, I’ve seen quite a bit of poker paraphernalia in various websites. I’ve currently trying to contact several website for details on how the deliver the stuff to Malaysia. Can you believe, a particular website with the most amazing looking Bicycle cards (WHICH I NEED VERY MUCH!) delivers to the Maldives and Sri Lanka, but not Malaysia or even Singapore. When I e-mailed ‘em, I was happy for a prompt reply which explained that the Courier Service FedEx kept returning packages bound for Malaysia, so it caused them some embarrassment in terms of providing good service. I’m still waiting on several more websites to reply to me.

So, anyways, I’ve come across really beautiful looking Poker Table Covers (with chip and cup holders) but they’re a bit pricey. I can afford them, but you’ve got to consider the shipping (not only the charges, but also the transport). Its all a bit of a hassle. Take a look at the picture on the left.
But then I came across a website of this dude, BUILDING his own poker TABLE. That’s right. A poker TABLE. The picture showed an unfinished table but it had the hexagonal (or was it octagonal? For those of you who flunked geometry, hex means 6-sided and oct means 8-sided) shape and it looked pretty sharp. Then it hit me: why not just build one? A table cover I mean, not a table. So that’s when I hit the D.I.Y. shops with Mr. Symons (yet another local hero) for supplies (“Supplies!!”, exclaims Ah Beng).

So far, I’ve bought:-

1) A green carpet-y like thingy. It’s huge. You gotta buy a minimum of 1 metre for RM 25. I think I can lay a snooker table with that;

2) A can of white spray paint (for the ‘boxes’ or any other decals;

3) A box of blackboard chalk (white); and

4) A cheap blade.

Additionally, I got a roll of musking tape, scissors, a ‘peg’ (don’t ask), string and cello tape from home.

More updates to follow with step-by-step pictorial coverage of the whole process.

2 comments:

Bob the Builder said...

Thumbs up for trying man. All we need now is some poker players with balls, not like jimmy who bets 2 chips like betting his whole life.

Bob the Builder said...

Also, stop insulting EDS. I'm from there... haha.